Who is it for?
This start-to-finish option may be the solution for people who recognize that they are not going to write their life stories on their own, or who are prevented by age or disability from doing the work themselves.Read excerpt
Typically, the process includes these steps:
- Recording interviews. We sit down together in the comfort of your home, and you tell me your story. My questions and comments will help spark memories and keep you focused and on track. It’s an enjoyable experience for both of us!
- Preparing the narrative. I work with transcripts of the interviews to craft the material into an interesting, coherent narrative. Unless you request otherwise, the narrative will be in your voice, using your words, organized and gently edited to make the story flow.
- Reviewing the narrative. You will go over the draft narrative and make any revisions required — anything from correcting the spelling of a name to adding, deleting or changing a story. You have the final say over what is included in your book.
- Choosing the photos and documents. As you review the story, you choose the photos and documents you want to include. Genealogy charts, letters, the program from a special concert all contribute to your personal history.
- Producing the book. I revise your text according to your instructions and scan your photos and documents, then put everything together in an attractive layout. Once you have reviewed and approved the final version, I manage the printing and binding and deliver your personal history to you. A great reason to celebrate!
A full service personal history usually runs $6,000–$10,000, but can go to $20,000 or more, depending on how many interviews are required. It can take anywhere from six months to several years to complete.
People vary widely in the time they need to tell their life stories. The average is 16 hours of interview.
Typically, each hour of interview represents 12–15 hours of work, including the interview itself, transcription, organizing and editing, revision, incorporating photos and documents, layout and design, and managing printing and binding.
I offer a Full Service Personal History package that is a great value. Contact me for details.