There is a lot of information available to help you plan and create a personal history. On this page, you will find downloadable PDFs and links to web pages with useful material.
Check back often for new resources, or subscribe to my blog and Facebook page.
Island Gals articles:
Island Gals Magazine celebrates the stories, passions and lives of Vancouver Island women. I have been a contributor since the first issue. My articles contain ideas and information helpful to anyone interested in recording a personal history.
- Vol. 1 #1 Highlands Gal 180kb pdf
- Vol. 1 #2 My grandma taught me to whistle 139kb pdf
- Vol. 1 #3 Ah, yes; I remember it well! 160kb pdf
- Vol. 1 #4 Don’t Wait Until It’s Too Late! 61kb pdf
- Vol. 2 #1 Home is Where the Heart Is 170kb pdf
- Vol. 2 #2 A Passion for Dance 180kb pdf
Lack of space prevented inclusion of personal history tips with “A Passion for Dance”; but passion has an important place in a personal history. The things we do that feed our souls also reveal much about our characters and provide us with opportunities to learn and to contribute to others. What fills your heart with joy? How did you discover your passion? What have you learned from following it, and what has happened as a result that made it much more than you ever expected?
From the Association of Personal Historians:
- Why Create a Personal History?
- Tips Before You Get Started
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Choosing the Right Personal Historian
- I Wish I Knew More About Mommy and Daddy